Mission & History
Charlotte Christian School is a Christ-centered, college preparatory school, equipping and developing students to effectively integrate Biblical truth and learning into their daily lives and to impact the culture for Christ.
The school first opened its doors in 1950 as Calvary Christian Day School for students in kindergarten through sixth grade. In 1960, a group of local businessmen with a heart for Christian education organized Christian High School, and the two schools merged in 1969 to become Christian School Association of Charlotte, Inc., a kindergarten through twelfth grade institution. In 1964, Christian High School graduated its first class with seven seniors. The school relocated to its present location on Sardis Road in 1972, and in 1976, was renamed Charlotte Christian School. In 1982, Charlotte Christian School earned accreditation from SACS now the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS-CASI), an accreditation division of AdvancED. The school is also accredited by the Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS). In 2020, the school ushered in its 70th year of excellence in Christian education with the largest student enrollment of more than 1,100.
Over the last 20 years, the school has continued to grow and develop into what it looks like today. The Guy Gym, Early Education Building (1997), Flenniken Dining Hall, Upper School Building, Hendrick Center for Arts and Science (2013) and Center for Worship and Performing Arts (2017) were completed. In addition to adding buildings on campus, the programs have grown as well. Charlotte Christian now offers 21 Advanced Placement and college level classes, has earned 39 team state championships, and North Carolina Theatre Conference High School Play Festival theatre state championships; Blumenthal Performing Arts Award nominations in addition to musician selections for the American High School Honors Performance Series at Carnegie Hall and numerous visual art awards.