History of CCS

Dr. L. Pointdexter McClenny

Dr. L. Pointdexter McClenny began a ministry at Calvary Presbyterian Church in uptown Charlotte and later that year organized Calvary Christian Day School with nearly 100 students in kindergarten through sixth grade.

Ovens Auditorium 1958

A group of local buisnessmen came away from a month-long Billy Graham Crusade at Ovens Auditoium in 1958 with a heart for Christian education in Charlotte and faithfully organized Christian High School at the current site of Central Church of God.

Class officers from the first graduating class, 1964.

Christian High School graduated its first class with seven seniors.

Original school building

Christian High School merged with Calvary Presbyterian Church to form Christian School Association of Charlotte, Inc., creating a kindergarten through twelfth grade institution.

Christian Schools

The board purchased 15.5 acres at 7301 Sardis Road. (Over the next 38 years, the board continued to purchase property and grow the campus to is current size of 54 acres.)

Harry Graham

March 12, 1972 - Ground was broken for the first building at the current site, now the middle school building, named for Harry Graham.

Lamb Memorial Gym

The Lamb Memorial Gymnasium was dedicated in June of 1975.

Charlotte Christian School

The school was renamed Charlotte Christian School with the Knight as its mascot.

Upper School

Construction was completed on the Upper School Building that also housed the Petty Library.

Accreditation process begins

Charlotte Christian began the accreditation process with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).

Upper School computer lab

The fifth grade building was built, computers were added in the upper school, and the soccer field was enlarged for baseball. Field lights were installed and the first night soccer game was played.

SACS certificate

Charlotte Christian School earns accreditation from SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools).

Construction of the administration building

The Lower School building and Administration Building, including the Dining Hall, were built.

Varsity football begins

Varsity football began and the first team took the field in competition.

Early Education Building

The Kindergarten Building was completed, now called the Early Education Building.

Dining Hall

The Dining Hall addition was completed and the Lamb/Johnson Gym was renovated.

Synthetic turf added

A new synthetic surface and new drainage system was added to the athletic stadium fields.

Upper School

The upper school addition was completed.

Guy Gym

Enrollment reached 1086 students with 98 graduating seniors. The Lower Gym was renovated and renamed the Guy Gymnasium.

Baseball press box

The expansion of the baseball press box was completed.

60th Anniversary

In the year of its 60th anniversary, Charlotte Christian School was on course for the largest graduating class on record with 107 seniors.

Warner Field House

The Warner Field House was completed.

Parking lot renovation

The main parking area in front of the school was expanded and renovated to create a warm and clean welcome.

Hendrick Center for Arts and Science

The state-of-the-art Hendrick Center for Arts and Science was completed in time for the beginning of school. The building features a STEM lab, technology lab, lower school media center and multi fine arts rooms.

Bryte Little Media Center

In time for the new school year, the newly renovated Bryte Little Media Center opens to serve middle and upper school students. Equipped with touch screens, common areas, Mac stations and a collegiate atmosphere.

The Center for Worship and Performing Arts

The Center for Worship and Performing Arts houses an auditorium capable of hosting full-scale theatrical productions and weekly chapels as well as various assemblies and annual school events, including band, choir, and orchestra concerts. The state-of-the-art facility includes a scene shop specially designed for set construction; a black box theater for smaller productions; and dressing rooms. A window-lined art gallery will be the edge of one side of the building and will feature original work from our JK-grade 12 artists.